Hey there. It’s good to have you here again. Today, we’ll be going over another dear topic in Muay Thai that you can relate to as long as you’re a Muay Thai fan.
In Muay Thai, and as it is for other kinds of sporting activities, certain protective gears are recommended for those who participate in them. Muay Thai thigh pads, sometimes called thigh guards will definitely help you protect yourself.
Thigh pads ensure maximum protection and enhanced techniques during training. With thigh pads, there’s no need for your pad holder to hold any heavy pad against his leg anymore.
Thigh pads are a somewhat new piece of training equipment, so in this article, you’ll learn what a thigh pad is, why it is necessary, the size of thigh pad you need, the things to consider when buying thigh pads, and other essential information you need to know about it.
In a hurry?
If you don’t have much time check the table below to quickly find the best Muay Thai thigh pads for you on Amazon. You can be assured I only choose the best products…
Last update on 2022-08-02
What is a thigh pad?
A thigh pad is Muay Thai equipment that provides adequate protection to your legs and thighs. They are designed to offer protection to the inner and outer parts of your thigh.
However, protection is not the only thing they do. They enhance your performance by making sure that your thighs are fully comfortable. They help to improve your striking techniques.
Is a thigh pad necessary?
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the number of protective gears out there. I remember when I just got started. I completely wondered if it was important to get many of the gears that I had heard my coach talk about.
Thigh pads are necessary. They provide heavy-duty protection to your thighs. They contain enough padding to withstand the shock from any impact during training.
If you’re looking to work on your low kicks, thigh pads will come in handy for you and your practice partner. Thigh pads allow for easier training for the person taking the hits and the person dishing them out.
What size thigh pad do I need?
Thigh pads usually come in a one-size-fits-all so you do not need to worry much about the sizing. However, your thigh pads should fit around your waist and your legs.
The type of closure used will also determine how well they fit. Elastic closures are good for comfort while hook and loop Velcro closures ensure that they stay on without removal.
Things to Consider when Buying Muay Thai Thigh Pads/Guards
Like any other new purchase, there are things to look out for when buying your Muay Thai thigh pads/guards. We’ll go over some of the essential ones, which will serve as a guide to you when you are about to make your purchases.
- Material: The recommended material for your Muay Thai thigh pad/guard is leather. The kind of material used will determine its durability. You don’t want a thigh pad that you need to change after each practice. The material used on the closures is also important as it will ensure that they fit comfortably and even adjust to your size.
- Size: You want your thigh pads to fit well. Not too tight and not too loose. When they are on, you should still be able to move around and throw strikes without any restriction. They usually come in a one-size-fits-all but still, it’s worth looking out for.
- Brand: Like many other products, some brands produce high-quality products compared to their competitors. Whatever brand you decide to go with, make sure that you are comfortable with the quality of their products.
- Padding: You don’t want to get a thigh pad that cannot withstand some impact. Here’s why the padding is important – the thicker the padding, the more protection it offers. However, you don’t want it too thick that it will prevent you from moving. The foam should be dense and thick; enough to protect your thighs. A combination of firm exterior padding and soft inner padding is the best to look out for.
Why Do I Need a Muay Thai Thigh Pad/Guard?
In case you’re still wondering why you need a muay Thai thigh pad/guard, I will highlight some of the reasons I already wrote about earlier, and include some more.
- Protection for you and your partner: Wearing thigh pads protect your thighs from injuries.
- Improving your Low Kicks: If you’re looking to work on your low kicks, having your thigh pads will help you to be more efficient when training.
- Better training: With your thigh guards, you get to work on your kicks without stressing out your partners by asking them to hold a heavy pad.
- Improved techniques: Thigh pads help you to improve your kicks and punches. They allow for a lot of technique work at once.
Product Review: 3 Best Muay Thai Thigh Pads/ Guards
If you are looking for a set of thigh pads that will give you quality and luxury, then you should check out this. It’s a favorite of many Nak Muay and it’s no surprise that it’s coming as the first on the list.
The Fairtex TP3 Deluxe Thigh Pads is definitely worth its price. From the design down to the functionality, it’s been proven repeatedly to be a top choice.
Fairtex is one of the best brands in Muay Thai and all their products live up to their expectations. The thigh pads are made with durable Syntek Leather, making them able to withstand kicks and hits. The inside of the pads contains a water-repellent neoprene lining that protects against moisture.
The double layer of high-density foam core padding also ensures that there are no interruptions to your training. It protects you against injuries by absorbing every kick that comes in contact with it.
They weigh a total of 3kg together as a pair and come with 3 inches of padding. The pads will not completely hinder your movement, although you might experience some restricted movement, especially when you just start to use them.
They contain adjustable straps that make them fit well on your body. They can also accommodate a belly pad, so there’s no problem if you want to continue to hold mitts or pads during training.
This is a pad combo because not only does it offer protection for your legs, but it also protects your belly during training.
They are super light, so they ensure great mobility for you as a trainer. They also absorb shock quite well as they contain multiple layers of shock-absorbing foam padding with Dome Air technology.
There is a waist closure attached to the belly guard. Also, the pads attach to the belly strap and close in the back with the Velcro.
They cover the front of the thighs well, protecting you against kicks and knee strikes. However, they do not cover the sides of the thighs.
If you’re looking for a thigh pad that ensures maximum mobility, the Ring to Cage Deluxe Muay Thai Guard is your best bet. They allow mobility for sparring.
The pads are curved in such a way that they fit your legs tightly and comfortably. There are also three inches of foam core padding, which protect you from heavy blows.
Speaking of the material, they are made with a drimax material that keeps you from overheating and also prevents the pads from drenching and slipping around in your sweat.
The pads come with a locking nylon Velcro closure that ensures that they fit and are securely held against your body. They also come with a lace-up rear enclosure.
Though they are made of synthetic leather, they have been tested and proven durable. So, you have no worries about the durability of your thigh pads, if you decide to go with them.
In Conclusion, thigh pads are essential for anyone who wants to take their Muay Thai training to a more efficient level.
With the information that you have about thigh pads now, I’m confident that you will make the right purchase.
Last Updated on July 10, 2022 by Deni