What would a Muay Thai training be without a heavy bag insight? Well, let’s not talk about that. There are different heavy bags used in gyms. However, the most commonly used in the case of Muay Thai is the banana bag. Coming across one of these is probably inevitable in Muay Thai gyms.
The Muay Thai banana bag (otherwise known as the Long Heavy Bag) is a very long-filled heavy bag that stands about six feet or even longer. This type is most suitable for Muay Thai because it is specifically designed for low kick workings. So, let’s go through a guide of the best banana bags you can use for Muay Thai. Alongside that, we’ll be learning a few things about these heavy bags. Stay with me!
In a hurry?
If you don’t have much time check the table below to quickly find the best Muay Thai banana bag for you on Amazon. You can be assured I only choose the best products…
Last update on 2022-11-30
What is a Long (banana) Heavy Bag?
This is one typical heavy bag you will find in Muay Thai gyms. Standing at about six feet or more, this bag is the most suitable for low kicks training. In terms of the width, it is almost half the width of a regular traditional Muay Thai heavy bag.
The Muay Thai banana bag is a more versatile bag than the standard heavy bag. It allows you to incorporate those low kicks and improve other techniques. Weighing about 130 pounds or more will allow you to train for regular punches and elbow kicks.
They are heavier and more rigid than other heavy bags. This heaviness will enable you to strengthen your muscles and shin during training. They are filled with hard materials which will keep you training so hard. Of course, these will fit into the advantages the bag offers. So let us take a look at the pros and cons of the Muay Thai banana bag.
What Are The Benefits and Drawbacks of a Banana Bag?
A banana bag is an essential part of every Muay Thai training. It is not only suitable for gyms but also ideal to be in homes. This speaks versatility for me. Here;
- It helps you develop your techniques. You can strike the banana bag timelessly using the same technique. This will help you create that technique, sharpen your form, and instill your memory skill.
- It helps you improve your balance. When you stand in front of the banana bag to train, you have to improve your footwork, so you don’t lose balance. You can also move around the bag and test different stances.
- Building up your cardio. The Muay Thai banana bag helps condition the cardio system. You can carry out many drills on this bag, which will help you strengthen your resistance.
- The bag is always available for you to use. Unlike the personal training partner who will not be around you at all times, the banana bag will be with you when you need it. You can install one in your home if you wish.
- You can improve your drills and low kicks. Since the Muay Thai banana bag is specifically designed for low kicks due to its length, you will surely see improvement when you use it.
- It is well suited for drilling combinations and punches.
- You can also use it for Teeps and clinching knee training.
- It offers very little swing motion, which makes it challenging to work on movement sometimes.
- It is too narrow to accommodate body kicks.
- It gets too hard at the bottom after some time of usage.
Top 3 Muay Thai Banana Bag
With so many options and brands to pick from, you might end up making a less useful product. There are so many banana bags from different manufacturers. Therefore, you might experience some difficulty choosing one.
After much research and tests carried out by me and a team of professionals, I have compiled a list of some of the top 3 Muay Thai banana bag products from reliable manufacturers. In no particular order, they are:
In the world of Muay Thai, the Fairtex brand can never be neglected. It is one of the best brands that offer quality gear and equipment for sports. They are based in Thailand, the home of Muay Thai; therefore, they will know a lot about all the sports gear they should offer.
The Fairtex banana bag is a 6ft tall heavy bag that comes prefilled by the manufacturers (though there are versions of the gear coming unfilled). It is made from synthetic leather material, which is designed to withstand the massive impact of trainers. The material is easy to maintain and durable.
It comes in many colors to choose from. With straps reinforced with solid and rivet stitches, you wouldn’t’ need to bother about the bag tearing open. There’s nothing much to complain about this product. It is an excellent one, and I love how it fits nicely into the requirement of durability and affordability.
- Dimension: 14.02*11.46*4.84 inches
- Weight: 5.2 pounds
- Material: faux leather
- Style: Unfilled
- Color: 10 different colors
This product comes filled from the manufacturers. I call this item ‘the excellent beating bag”. It will withstand all your kicks, punches, strikes, and low kicks. You would be surprised how much of this the bag will take.
It is made from heavy-duty polyester-coated vinyl material, which they have claimed to be far more durable and long-lasting than the real leather material. It doesn’t come with those inexpensive zippers but with a tight lace closure to keep it sealed and secure. It is also triple stitched with polyester thread to reinforce the material.
From what I know about it, I’m pretty sure that this will be a good option if you’re interested in getting a banana bag, which will last for an extended period. This means you should be ready to pay more for it (plus it comes filled!). You can also choose the right one for you as it comes in six different colors available for purchase.
- Dimension: 70*15*15 inches
- Material: polyester coated vinyl
- Style: filled
- Color: 6 different colors.
What is it with brands based in Thailand, giving us top-quality products back to back? I mean, take a look at the Fairtex, not the Twins Special. I’m marveled, and I guess it’s because they are Muay Thai sports home-based.
This Muay Thai banana bag is 6ft tall, and I wouldn’t hesitate to get one for myself. It is also made from synthetic leather (vinyl), which is very durable and easy to maintain. To top that, it is water-resistant and not prone to wear.
It comes in four different aesthetic colors to bring life to your gym space. You can’t go wrong with this product as I fully trust the brand that made it. No doubt!
- Weight: 88 pounds after fill
- Material: synthetic leather
- Style: unfilled
- Color: 4 different colors
We’ve come to the end of the review blog post. With those three banana bags mentioned, you must’ve gotten a grasp of what to look out for when choosing a Muay Thai banana bag. Some of which include the brand, style, material, and price. Those are to mention but a few.
I know the banana bag may not be the first gear to mind when the Muay Thai training routine is concerned. But I know for sure that they will come in handy sometime.
Last Updated on May 31, 2022 by Deni